Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stateside COIN Academy

Default Stateside COIN Academy

I'm back at Bragg spending a year doing some medical treatment, and I'm considering teaching small wars to deploying units if there is an common interest and support from the Chain-of-Command. I thought I'd throw out my ideas and see what feedback and help that I could receive from the Council. Primary RFIs are:

1. Has anyone else done this?
    2. For the academics, is there a Dummy's Guide to creating a syllabus?
    3. What is the proper scope and scale for this type of endeavor?

So, here's my initial thoughts:

Organization: Initially ad-hoc, lecture/seminar with less than 20 soldiers. Eventually, if successful, I'd like to have a joint course involving SF and RA soldiers to share ideas.

Intent: Provide basic instruction on general insurgency theory (motivation, mobilization, expanding the base, shaping, and clearing) and general counter-insurgency theory. Additionally, provide platform to openly discuss and capture lessons learned between the theory and practice from different units in different areas of operations.

So, that's the basics. Standing by for feedback.

Mike

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

If you basically aim to provide education to soldiers on how to fight irregular forces then I'll do as much as I can to help.

"Irregular Warfare: Conduct and Theory" - call it "Small Wars" maybe?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    If you basically aim to provide education to soldiers on how to fight irregular forces then I'll do as much as I can to help.

"Irregular Warfare: Conduct and Theory" - call it "Small Wars" maybe?
    That's the plan. I want to keep it simple and concentrate on the basics- no new terms just warfare. I got to teach some classes while I was at NPS and I really enjoyed it. I found that I often learned just as much as I taught.

So Change One- Small Wars Academy

Default Stateside COIN Academy

Are you asking about establishing something within the military as, say, a part of the Infantry School or the JFK Center or are you thinking about courses run by civilians and contracted to teach the military?

If you choose option #1, check with the Army-Marine COIN Center at Ft Leavenworth first.

For option #2, how will you convince DoD to hire you?

Quote Originally Posted by MM_Smith View Post
    Are you asking about establishing something within the military as, say, a part of the Infantry School or the JFK Center or are you thinking about courses run by civilians and contracted to teach the military?

If you choose option #1, check with the Army-Marine COIN Center at Ft Leavenworth first.

For option #2, how will you convince DoD to hire you?
    Hi MM. I'm just doing this informally. I'm already gainfully employed by the US Army just taking some time between now and ILE to recover from TBI. So, I'm gonna put together some blocks of instruction and teach. The specific audience is geared for E6-O3s. Basically, I'd like to make a crash course in small wars so that one does not have to wait until year eight or ten to go to school to learn. Basically, it's the stuff that I wish that I was taught ten years ago.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Primary RFIs are:

1. Has anyone else done this?
    I believe Wilf has, and John Fishel teaches a great course in at at Oklahoma.

2. For the academics, is there a Dummy's Guide to creating a syllabus?
    It varies from department to department, and discipline to discipline. Most of the variations at the departmental level centre around whether or not there are core, required readings everyone in the department has to use, and on the type, length and number of assignments. Where you are going to be teaching it, how long you have per day/week and how much tech support will really act as variables to structure your course.

The absolute, basic decisions you (or someone) has to make are the following:

1. Time format: how many sessions? How often? What else will your students be doing?
    2. Instruction format: the basic split is between lecture, seminar and workshop. Lectures usually have a group discussion or breakout format associated, while thatis assumed as part of the structure of a seminar(usually). Workshops are usually seminars on steroids .
    3. Reading amount: this depends on your time format. I've taught seminars at 3 hrs/week and required 150+ pages / week, with "suggested" readings over over 300 pages per week. I have also taught summer courses (6 hours / wk, M & W), with 30 pages for the Monday and 15 for the Wednesday. You have to figure out how much time your students can and will spend reading. BTW, one tactic that works well in a seminar is to assign different readings to several groups of students and have them report and lead the discussion.
    4. Assignments: This is often the killer; students often focus on the assignments rather than on actually learning the subject matter. A lot of ink has been spilled on ways to get around this, but the best one I have found is to a) never use sit down exams if possible (they are a waste of time), b) have every assignment (time permitting) be presented in two genres - written and verbal. So, for example, in my last seminars, I tend to give each of my students half a class to talk about their research projects and hand in a rough draft. They are also required to hand in a paper that may or may not (depends on their ingenuity and research area) "academic". I also assign a mark of +/- 1 grade point for collegiality, and allow the students to nominate up to three people (BTW, Carleton is on a 12 point grade system, so a +1 GP moves a B+ to an A-).
    5. Legal stuff: all institutions require that you lay out policies on a whole slew of issues. I have them on lateness and absences, late assignments, requesting dispensations for a whole slew of reasons, language requirements, etc., etc.
    6. Syllabus format: most departments want to see a session by session breakdown of what will be taught, etc. Some people I know will have a page or more per session, while I go to the other extreme (usually 1 line in a table).

3. What is the proper scope and scale for this type of endeavor?
    That is really tough. So much depends under what auspices you are teaching the course, what level the students are at, and what the goals of the course are.

So, here's my initial thoughts:

Organization: Initially ad-hoc, lecture/seminar with less than 20 soldiers. Eventually, if successful, I'd like to have a joint course involving SF and RA soldiers to share ideas.
    Okay, so we are probably talking seminar or workshop then. How many sessions a week and how long are the sessions?

Intent: Provide basic instruction on general insurgency theory (motivation, mobilization, expanding the base, shaping, and clearing) and general counter-insurgency theory. Additionally, provide platform to openly discuss and capture lessons learned between the theory and practice from different units in different areas of operations.
    Looking more and more like a seminar, Mike. If you have the time, I would drop the "basic instruction" part and convert it to a "doctrine says, how did it play out?" seminar question format. Load a lot of basic instruction reading up front, and let students work in teams on particular cases / readings. I would also encourage them to dig up their own readings as well for it, and let them assign the other students either a particular reading or a short execsum that they will write.

BTW, I'm putting together a course on COIN for the summer up here. My constraints, right now, are that it is a second year, summer school course, so 2 x 3 hours per week for six weeks. The number of students is unknown; could be 10, could be 100. I have to write the syllabus as if it were a lecture course, but be prepared to teach it as a seminar if the numbers drop below 20; I'll also be required to give an exam ().

On another note, I tend to rely heavily on web based technology for teaching. Unfortunately, my department has started to require that I use WebCT which, as far as I can tell, is about 5 generations behind what I like to use, which is moodle. If you are interested in looking at moodle and, maybe (if you're allowed ) using it for your course, just drop me a line; I have my own installation and I'd be glad to give you a course space on it.

Cheers,

Marc
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 02-04-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Add closing quote mark
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default Spot on...

Thanks MarcT. That's exactly the questions/comments that I was hoping for. I'm gonna work on a tentative syllabus and then post it on this thread as a working document for further discussion. I'll make sure that I send you and Dr. Fishel a PM.

As you review this, keep in mind that I'm not teaching college students. I'm talking to Company Grade officers and NCOs. Many of them will have multiple tours. So, I want to keep the reading light and no tests. I guess that's best called a seminar.

As I'm working on my syllabus, here's the required reading/case studies I'm considering....MTF...

- Zaganiyah- clearing denied rural areas
    - Ramadi- Cavguy's ventures into the Sunni Awakening
    - Mosul- Y'alls case study on SFA.
    - Basilan, Phillipines- JSOTF-P initial entry and use of the McCormick Diamond Model
    - Afghanistan- Jim Gant, "One tribe at a time"
    - Colombia or El Salvador- need a good paper for this one.

Mike

Council Member

Default COIN Academy

I don't really understand. Maybe you could clarify a little more.

Is this a informal bookclub type of deal?Hip pocket unit training?
    Or a recognized credentialized TRADOC type?

I think you will find a can of worms that everyone (institutionally) has their hands in.

What WE need to be doing is capturing and revitalizing our respective schools?

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and if I can assist you in the project just ask. I manage a bit of an adhoc course at the moment.

Default Background

Quote Originally Posted by OfTheTroops View Post
    I don't really understand. Maybe you could clarify a little more.

Is this a informal bookclub type of deal?Hip pocket unit training?
    Or a recognized credentialized TRADOC type?

I think you will find a can of worms that everyone (institutionally) has their hands in.

What WE need to be doing is capturing and revitalizing our respective schools?

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and if I can assist you in the project just ask. I manage a bit of an adhoc course at the moment.
    I probably should have started with a proper background...So, here it goes...After a lot of discussions both on-line and off-line, I've been trying to figure out how to better train our boys for small wars. IMO, warfare really doesn't change too much, but small wars have been long neglected in the US Army for some time.

First, on-line, several thinkers influenced my considerations: 1. Rob Thorton has been trying to figure out how the regular army will do SFA (Security Force Assitance), 2. Cavguy (Neil Smith) wrote a poignant essay on how TRADOC and FORSCOM need to revamp themselves to better prepare our soldiers to fight all wars and not just big ones. 3. Schmedlap has been pushing and discussing company-level operations in small wars on his blog.

Second, I have a bunch of free time right now while I"m getting cleared from a TBI. I've done 4 tours and went to grad school to study small wars, and I'm trying to find a job outside medical appointments in addition to doing other things like Habitat for Humanity. My PLs are now CDRs, my BC is now a BCT CDR in the 101st, and they asked me to come and speak on insurgency.

Third, I found that I really like teaching. After these wars are over and I'm long retired, I'll probably go get a PhD and teach International Relations.

So, I'm developing a plan that I'm gonna try to sell. I may just end up teaching one or two companies and briefing a brigade staff. I don't care. I want to see if I can produce something worthwhile that will help others. I do know that much of my own success in the past was due to a couple of individuals that took the time to mentor me so I'm gonna try and help others.

We'll see where it leads.

Mike

Mike,

While "Size Matters;" it is hardly the defining factor in designing a successful campaign plan. All about keeping it simple, but keep it material as well. A small insurgency has little incommon with a small conflict between states. And a Small conflict between big states has little in common with a same sized "big" conflict between small states.

Purpose for action is the key. Size of action is just an interesting factoid that tells you how much to order of various requirements based upon your understanding of how to address that purpose.

Check in with the guys in the USASOC Commander's Initiatives Group. You'll find some friends there.

Bob
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    I believe Wilf has,
    Sadly, Wilf has not, but would love to! Very happy to help.
    Obviously the first year of the course would be spent reading Clausewitz.......
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Mike sounds more like a GWOT campaign assessment

Thanks MarcT. That's exactly the questions/comments that I was hoping for. I'm gonna work on a tentative syllabus and then post it on this thread as a working document for further discussion. I'll make sure that I send you and Dr. Fishel a PM.

As you review this, keep in mind that I'm not teaching college students. I'm talking to Company Grade officers and NCOs. Many of them will have multiple tours. So, I want to keep the reading light and no tests. I guess that's best called a seminar.

As I'm working on my syllabus, here's the required reading/case studies I'm considering....MTF...

- Zaganiyah- clearing denied rural areas
    - Ramadi- Cavguy's ventures into the Sunni Awakening
    - Mosul- Y'alls case study on SFA.
    - Basilan, Phillipines- JSOTF-P initial entry and use of the McCormick Diamond Model
    - Afghanistan- Jim Gant, "One tribe at a time"
    - Colombia or El Salvador- need a good paper for this one.

Mike
    Less the Latin America scenario, these are 5 campaigns in one war to protect the populace of the United States from terrorist attacks.

You can talk tactics: What was the situation, what worked, what didn't work, etc. That is intersting and helpful for those at Company level and below.

Or you can talk Operations, how each of these campagins contributed and fit into the larger campagins for their respective theaters. Good for the Field Grade level types

Or you can talk strategy. How did these campagins contribute or exacerbate the threat of terrorist attacks on America? etc.

As an aside, I realize you are coming from Monterey, home of the "McCormick Diamond," but I am pretty sure any serious application of the "diamond" to that operation is post facto. The operations there were shaped far more by the simple fact that we had no authorities to do anything other than the things we did. Which is a lesson in itself. "When conducting FID in support of another country's insurgency, are ones operations more effective when forced to subjugate themselves to the governance of that country and operate through their security forces and within the guidelines of their laws and rules; or when you invade, take out the existing government, and do whatever you damn well please."
    Robert C. Jones

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

The operations there were shaped far more by the simple fact that we had no authorities to do anything other than the things we did. Which is a lesson in itself.
    I'm glad that we both learned the same lessons there. Similar constraints have been placed on forces in Iraq as the gov't steps up sovereignty, and I thought that the Phillipines, El Sal, and Colombia would be good examples to use to show how the rules that may seem limiting can actually prove effective over time. IMO, that's one of the biggest issues with the SFA mission and RA in A'stan. We would rather do the mission ourselves instead of waiting for the Afghans to do it.

As I continue to narrow the scope of this thing, yes, it is GWOT intensive, but the examples covered highlight heavy armor units, light units, and SF units working in urban and rural environments. Different units, different terrains, and different missions. I think that will blend well.

The focus will be on company level planning, operations, and decision-making. Some primary questions will probably include:

1. What is a small war?
    2. How does an insurgency mobilize, recruit, shape, clear, and hold an area?
    3. How do we fight for intelligence to gain an accurate picture of our area of operations?
    4. Once we determine the current situation, how do we shape the environment to allow for infiltration?
    5. How do we clear the area?
    6. How do we hold the area?
    7. How do we build the area? Do we buld the area?

I'm not to concerned on specific TTPs and Tactics. Guys will argue all day long on how to clear a house. I want to develop a course that helps teach how to think and provide some examples of how others did business.

As I'm looking at my written notes, this seminar will probably be 10 x 1 hour classes. My timeline is to be ready to start teaching on 1 March. So, as soon as I'm done with the syllabus, I'll post it for y'alls edit.

Check in with the guys in the USASOC Commander's Initiatives Group. You'll find some friends there.
    Thanks for the lead. I'd really like to eventually have a joint course b/c we all have a lot to teach each other (as I learned with SF and Seal friends at NPS).

From Wilf:
    Obviously the first year of the course would be spent reading Clausewitz
    Here's my thoughts and deception plan on getting the guys to read the classics. For my class, my "Break Point" article will be mandatory. It's short and easy to read. Hopefully, a young E6 or 02 will say, "Wow, I learned something from that." or "That #### was happening in my area, and I never saw it." Then, I'll recommend that they take the time to read Robert Andrews "The Village War."

Throughout the seminar, I'll put in quotes from Galula, Sir Robert Thompson, and others. Over time, they may decide to read up on how others tackled the same types of problems over time.

v/r

Mike

Be sure to ask fun questions too (ie, as in designed to make the Doctirne Nazi's heads explode), for example:

A. "Is it more important to know what phase friendly forces are in (i.e., Clear, Hold, or Build) in your particular sector; or which phase the Insurgency is in (i.e., “strategic defensive,” “strategic stalemate,” or “strategic offensive.”); or neither of the above in recognition that the insurgent can "win" when the sides are in any combinaiton of these phases and that the counterinsurgent can only "win" by moving the insurgent to Phase 0 regardless of which phase the counterinsrgent might be in?

(hell, no need for question B. If you can't fill up a bluebook answering that question you aren't trying!)
    Robert C. Jones

Hi Mike,

Just a quick comment stemming from Bob's last...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Be sure to ask fun questions too (ie, as in designed to make the Doctirne Nazi's heads explode),
    Some primary questions will probably include:

1. What is a small war?
    2. How does an insurgency mobilize, recruit, shape, clear, and hold an area?
    3. How do we fight for intelligence to gain an accurate picture of our area of operations?
    4. Once we determine the current situation, how do we shape the environment to allow for infiltration?
    5. How do we clear the area?
    6. How do we hold the area?
    7. How do we build the area? Do we buld the area?
    1. Nice and unanswerable .
    2. - 7. You need to invert these as part of the question.

Let me pull this out. Using a rather wonky, yet Sun Tzu inspired analogy, you and the various insurgents, civilians, etc. are involved in a dance; an ongoing improv that co-constructs the campaign, so you need to think about the entirety of the event space in that way. This means that you have to think about how you think about the insurgents and how they think about you. All these current questions do is think about how you think about them, hence the inversion.

You might also think about planting a few mental landmines in your course as well. Probably the simplest one would be a very minor modification of your Q 3. from

to

3. How do we gain an accurate picture of how all stakeholders view our area of operations, and what are the limits of our accuracy?
    If your students have the time, I would assign them to read Gordon Dickson's Tactics of Mistake - it's quite short and easily read in a night.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Hi Mike,

I probably should have started with a proper background...So, here it goes...After a lot of discussions both on-line and off-line, I've been trying to figure out how to better train our boys for small wars. IMO, warfare really doesn't change too much, but small wars have been long neglected in the US Army for some time.
    I don't think "neglected" is the most accurate word - maybe "overshadowed" would be a better one, especially since there was a lot of work on them going on in the 1980's and 1990's, but it wasn't part of the mainstream.

First, on-line, several thinkers influenced my considerations: 1. Rob Thorton has been trying to figure out how the regular army will do SFA (Security Force Assitance), 2. Cavguy (Neil Smith) wrote a poignant essay on how TRADOC and FORSCOM need to revamp themselves to better prepare our soldiers to fight all wars and not just big ones. 3. Schmedlap has been pushing and discussing company-level operations in small wars on his blog.
    All great sources ! Personally, I have a rather significant bias towqards storytelling as a form of knowledge storage / transmission, but how that can be done is heavily dependent on the continuity of the organizational structures.

Second, I have a bunch of free time right now while I"m getting cleared from a TBI. I've done 4 tours and went to grad school to study small wars, and I'm trying to find a job outside medical appointments in addition to doing other things like Habitat for Humanity. My PLs are now CDRs, my BC is now a BCT CDR in the 101st, and they asked me to come and speak on insurgency.
    So you're starting to feel that odd sense of people looking at you as an "expert" ? Disconcerting isn't it?

Third, I found that I really like teaching. After these wars are over and I'm long retired, I'll probably go get a PhD and teach International Relations.
    Excellent! I think you would be a fantastic PhD candidate, although I'm afraid you might find IR a touch "sterile" .

So, I'm developing a plan that I'm gonna try to sell. I may just end up teaching one or two companies and briefing a brigade staff. I don't care. I want to see if I can produce something worthwhile that will help others. I do know that much of my own success in the past was due to a couple of individuals that took the time to mentor me so I'm gonna try and help others.
    Pay it forward - I'm all in favour of that!

Even if you can't get the first version of it an official imprimatur, you could achieve roughly the same outcome by running a test case course.

Cheers,

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default Clausewitz

I
    Here's my thoughts and deception plan on getting the guys to read the classics.
    Actually CvC wouldn't be necessary as part of the course, bar 4 Lectures/ guided discussions

a.) War is a Continuation of Politics - Mao as the lead example
    b.) The Trinity - what you need to "do" violence for political aims
    c.) The concept of "Nation" in the idea of War
    e.) The "annihilation" of the enemy

If I could get those across in 4-8 classes I'd be happy

Default Day One and Day Two

First, thanks for all the PMs so far. I did not expect this much help and interest. Second, here's the draft for Day One and Day Two. Please, tear it apart and keep the critiques coming....Keep in mind my "student" audience- E6-O3 paratroopers.

Day One: Introduction to Small Wars

(Notes for SWJ: Day One is intentionally broad and heavy in theory. After Day One, we'll get into the meat and potatoes of company-level small wars. The intent is to help broaden the students perspective of warfare outside of their own individual tours.)

Required Reading: None
    Recommended Reading: David Kilcullen's Accidental Guerilla

Outline:
    1. Course Overview
    2. Discussion on relevant perceptions, experience, and thoughts on small wars
    3. Lecture

Teaching Objectives:
    1. What is a small war?
    2.. Why do men rebel? What drives a man to martyrdom? How are social revolutions, religious movements, insurgencies, and gangs similar?
    3. How do men rebel? A concise overview of Mao's 3-phase Protracted War.
    4. How has the West helped/intervened in small wars? Brief overview of Malayia, Vietnam, Somalia, and Iraq.

Discussion Questions
    1. What did you do during your previous deployments? What did you accomplish? Were you succesful? Did you help, hurt, or remain neutral to the overall goals?
    2. What is winning the hearts and minds in small wars? Is it achievable or just academic wishful thinking?
    3. What is enemy-centric versus population-centric small wars? In your own experience, is their really any difference?

************************************************** ************************************************** ************

Day Two: Dude, I want my own safe-haven. Practical lessons on how an insurgency mobilizes, shapes, and clears a denied area.
    Required Reading: "The Break Point: How AQIZ established the ISI in Zaganiyah"
    Recommended Reading: "The Village War" by Robert Andrews

Outline:

1. Clandestine Organization.and Social Mobilization
    1a..Penetration
    1b. Transformation
    1c Application

2. Psychological Preparation of the People-
    2a. Propaganda,
    2b. Deception,
    2c. Reduction of Prestige,
    2d. Peasant Resistance,

3. The Break Point- this point is "achieved by establishing a local military advantage, displacing (or neutralizing) the residual presence of the old regime, and creating an alternative set of administrative and governing institutions”

4. Expansion of Control
    4a. Destruction of the Oppression
    4b. Land Reform

5. Consolidation of Power
    5a. Paramilitary Forces
    5b. Mutual Surveillance
    5c. Movement Controls

Learning Objectives:
    1. Understand the Enemy Situation. What is the insurgent trying to accomplish? How will he go about achieving his goals?

Discussion Questions:
    1. Did you see this in your AO?
    2. What are the indicators?
    3. Do you understand that no IED attack, assassination, or propaganda letter is random? Do you get that we're fighting an enemy that believes in his cause, and he is planning and executing operations in the same way that we are?
    4. How do we defeat this?

Council Member

The persistance of conflict.

We have had a good deal of success with your day 1 and day 2 lesson plans no where near the depth that you describe but i can see the use. We focus on police.

And you may want some lectures like that. The breakdown of the law, criminal enterprises vs insurgencies, the role of the police, the role of the army, the role of the governator (get to the chopper!!).

You know if you correlate it to business practices or adminstration somehow (lessons in change) you will probably make millions. The Phd will get you extra change too. Make the suit feel like he was in Ramadi or wherever. nah!

The common good is more important. You could probably almost definitely sell it to the local university as a way to get troops in the seats. Case in point this very forum.

Default Day Three: Fighting for Intelligence

Day Three: Fighting for Intelligence- The use of Reconnaissance and Surveillance to overcome our Information Disadvantage

Required Reading:
    "Saving Zaganiyah" TBP,
    FM 17-98-1 "The Scout Leaders Handbook,"
    FM 7-8 "Infantry Platoon,"
    The Ranger Handbook

Recommended Reading:
    Once a Warrior King by David Donovan,
    Hunter-Killer Squadron: Aero-Weapons, Aero-Scouts, Aero-Rifles by Matthew Brennan
    The Man Who Never Was by Ewen Montagu
    Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

Outline:
    1. The value of the General Area Survey- listening to the current and former stakeholders in your AO.

2. Develop a Hypothesis of the Current Situation

3. Conduct Reconaissance to confirm/deny hypothesis.
    3a. Covert Reconnaissance- sneaking in under the cover of darkness to take a look around
    3b. Overt Reconnaissance- Route, Area, and Zone patrols to define the terrain.
    3c. Conduct leadership engagements- Meet the People.

4. Conduct Surveillance to confirm/deny hypothesis

5. Define the environment- Final commander's decision on current situation

6. Develop the "Message"
    6a. The use of Propaganda to shape the environment
    6b. The use of Deception to prepare for initial entry