Thread: What is Education?- A thread on learning and teaching, the creative process, practice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    ....and as I have more posts than you, I can confirm this!!
    I didn't have any single individual in mind, Wilf, but generally making the point that some folks can confuse quantity (their own or others) for quality, or assume that because someone has X posts in Y thread he or she is automatically an expert.

And I certainly don't confuse my own posts with quality (in fact I'd say they most often are good examples of how NOT to find quality...). Usually I'm just thinking out loud (more or less), or tossing out a viewpoint or historical example that I feel might have been overlooked. Usually these sink into the electronic ether where they belong, but every once in a while they might make someone think or suggest a new or different approach. And that possibility is what keeps me posting, since I know there have been some folks here who have done the same for me and I figure I owe the community some payback.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default The Seed Foundation

60 Minutes had a fascinating segment last Sunday on The Seed School in Washington, DC. The concept is fairly simple. The founders wanted to create a boarding school for impoverished, lower income children. In areas where others said these kids had no chance, the founders asked, "why not?" The current results are outstanding. In the last 4 of 5 years, every Seed School graduate has gone on to college.

I found the segment inspiring and another example of how creativity, sheer will, and leadership can overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.

v/r

Mike

I wish I had seen it, Mike! Unfortunately, I spent half of the last week at a conference on Intelligence education and ended up being profoundly depressed.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/