I'll grab this same quote to illustrate the view from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
My point, perhaps hers also, is that we are excessively dependent on 'support' and are unwilling to trust most of our units to operate without massive backup -- which will almost certainly not be available at all times. Nor should it be. We are doing ourselves and many units a significant disservice and are using hardware to compensate for poor training and education.
Throughout this and a few other threads I've been reading about the risk aversion in operations, particularly in OEF and OIF, but having developed over the last several decades (there was at least one reference to Desert Storm).

I pose these questions as response. Why not back off and call for "support"? If "support" is available, be it ISR, CAS, AA, or IDFs, why not use it? Isn't the guy on the ground using his best judgement and determination on whether he is losing the initiative by waiting up to "90 minutes" for some AH-1s (or whatever)? In "COIN" or even HIC in 2010 isn't using aviation nearly the same as calling immediate suppression in wars past?