Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunker and tank busters at section/squad and platoon level

Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post

As for delivering HE, it's hard to beat a mix of frange and HEI-T from an M-242 Bushmaster....
    When you have an AFV nearby and a cannon on it, all the better. It is hard to carry that kind of firepower on your back. A Leopard should make the enemy in Afghanistan think twice before directly attacking you.

Firn
    Last edited by Firn; 03-12-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Dr Storr's (former Infantry Lt Col) reasoning as to what creates the desired effects are founded on what weight of high explosive filling needs (0.67kg) to be delivered at what rate (1 rnd per 3 secs), and what consistency (accuracy) to cause shock. If you can find a better way to do that, then you answer the exam question he asks.
    Point taken.
    So I read it again, thrice. Still pondering it and still not sure where to go with it.

It appears the Russians in A-stan made good use of the Vasilek, I think reasonably well within the context described by Jim Storr. However, they seem to have mounted most on light armoured vehicles. That would go well beyond what Storr is trying to achieve for light infantry, I think. And bringing back the old Scorpion might then even be more suitable.

Speaking of Scorpion, this may be of some interest.
    Probably still a bit too big and heavy though.
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

A Pl with a 60mm mortar and a couple GPMGs is good to go; hard to fix it if it is marching properly.

60mm with spade baseplate is simple to carry, deploy, and fire - after a little experience, guys get pretty good with kentucky windage with a bomb with 0 or 1 increment.

As for delivering HE, it's hard to beat a mix of frange and HEI-T from an M-242 Bushmaster....
    Infanteer, have you get any feedback on Carl Gustav?
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

I'm a little confused, are you saying that it is nice to have an AFV nearby mounted with one of these or are you suggesting that they be used in a dismounted role?

Years ago I had a buddy who was involved in a program (sometime in the early '90s I think) to test mounting the Bushmaster on a HMMWV. This was when the idea of light cav was still controversial and they were experimenting with ways to upgrade the gun HMMWVs. He was a cav guy from the old days when 2nd Cav still had the Fulda Gap mission. According to him, the Bushmaster simply shook the truck apart in fairly short order. Naturally the program was scrapped.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    According to him, the Bushmaster simply shook the truck apart in fairly short order. Naturally the program was scrapped.
    Years ago, as a very young soldier, I spent time in a Wombat platoon (L6) - 120mm RRL mounted on a Land-Rover. You ONLY fired it mounted on the Land Rover in an Emergency! - cos it basically broke the vehicle by all accounts - yet skills and drills wise, we always practised bringing the weapon into action while it was mounted on the vehicle!!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Years ago, as a very young soldier, I spent time in a Wombat platoon (L6) - 120mm RRL mounted on a Land-Rover. You ONLY fired it mounted on the Land Rover in an Emergency! - cos it basically broke the vehicle by all accounts - yet skills and drills wise, we always practised bringing the weapon into action while it was mounted on the vehicle!!
    That reminds me of a piece of equipment that I heard about that was designed to launch a nuclear device, but could not launch it further than the effective radius of the explosion. Maybe it's me but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Default That's a myth. The Davy Crockett used the W54 warhead,

the same one used in the ADM and also used in a few other applications. In low KT versions, the one used by the Davy Crockett, the effective blast and killing radiation radius was less than a fifth of the nominal effective range of the weapon. The weapon was in service for about ten years; its major prob was the CEP. Picture trying to use an RPG as a point weapon at max range...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    the same one used in the ADM and also used in a few other applications. In low KT versions, the one used by the Davy Crockett, the effective blast and killing radiation radius was less than a fifth of the nominal effective range of the weapon. The weapon was in service for about ten years; its major prob was the CEP. Picture trying to use an RPG as a point weapon at max range...
    Now that I think about it I think that I might have heard about this thing in Hackworth's book which may be why I didn't know that that was a myth.

Council Member

Wilf, is this mortar still prototype? Did the STI Kinetics manage to put this mortar only on truck?

Here is one Rhodesian mortar unit.

The mortar is in use on Singapore's Broncos.

http://www.military-today.com/apc/bronco.htm

Wink

Here and there are the answers.

Still the very simple and very plain 120 mm mortars have a lot going for them.

Lighter cheap mortars placed on good cheap trucks are certainly a very cost-effective solution for many a small war if manned and commanded by good units.

Firn

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by kaur View Post
    Wilf, is this mortar still prototype? Did the STI Kinetics manage to put this mortar only on truck?

Here is one Rhodesian mortar unit.

See Fuchs. It's on a whole range of vehicles. The problem with it on the "Flyer" in the picture, is that you need another vehicle with the ammo.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default The man was a myth in his own mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Now that I think about it I think that I might have heard about this thing in Hackworth's book which may be why I didn't know that that was a myth.
    He also spread a lot of myths...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    The max. altitude of a 120mm mortar bomb is about 3,500 m for a 7,000 m shot. Longer-ranged shots are the exception even for those mortars that are capable of reaching farther.

Modern combat aircraft in a ManPADS environment prefer to fly above 15,000 ft for their safety = about 4,500 m Add the max. altitude of nearby mountain tops to this and subtract the altitude of the mortar for comparison with the previous figure.
    In the place where I fly there are many small aircraft, manned turboprops and drones, flying around below 12,000 ft., sometimes stacked at 500 ft intervals. They do occasionally shoot manpads at us.

Perhaps Fuchs argument is more geared toward a high intensity fight.
    Last edited by carl; 03-16-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I added a sentence I forgot the first time.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Wilf, sometimes you need to trade all-in-one solution It seems that those guys need also second car.

Fuchs can correct me, but if I rembember correctly in German paratrooper batallion 1 120 mm mortar team has 2 MB jeeps with (50 mortar shells).

I can just speculte that in IED-intensive world those crews are real magnets and top target lists.

It appears that the procurement of the ludicrously expensive Growler was justified to help justify the Osprey, or was it the other way around? Cool little vehicle though. I want one.

From linked article:
    The system requires two of the hybrid helicopter-airplane Ospreys in order to be moved - one to transport the unarmored vehicle and mortars and one to carry a second unarmored vehicle and ammunition trailer.
    In the Marine Corps' planning, a third Osprey would ferry troops to support the mortar team.

It looks like a Jeep, but it’s not.

Now if a direct fire 81 mm version of the afore mentioned STI Kinetics mortar could be fitted on or behind a vehicle like this, than that could be just what Jim Storr is looking for with added indirect fire capabilities.

(Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

Quote Originally Posted by kaur View Post
    Wilf, sometimes you need to trade all-in-one solution It seems that those guys need also second car.

Fuchs can correct me, but if I rembember correctly in German paratrooper batallion 1 120 mm mortar team has 2 MB jeeps with (50 mortar shells).

I can just speculte that in IED-intensive world those crews are real magnets and top target lists.
    Is it just me who thinks that the vehicle/trailer combo is faced wrongly? The vehicle should be able to move out without much trouble, so it should face towards the rear ramp when in the V-22 body.

The German mountain and airborne infantry use Wolf 4wd vehicles (Mercedes G Wagon) (0.75t class iirc) for their 120mm mortars; a known deficiency. A LRIP of 120mm Wiesel 2 is expected for the next few years. I'm not sure about the supply part in the Wiesel2 mortar concept; likely Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Is it just me who thinks that the vehicle/trailer combo is faced wrongly? The vehicle should be able to move out without much trouble, so it should face towards the rear ramp when in the V-22 body.
    On the Growler homepage, check out the back wheel on the first photo of the vehicle. Does it look like it’s turned? That could go a long way to explaining the cost increases and would have been done to allow the vehicle with trailer to back in or out of the Osprey easier, I suspect.

(Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

Maybe.
    The German army had a similar requirement for all-wheel steering during the late 20's and early 30's until it was generally accepted to be unimportant in comparison to 4wd OR very low ground pressure.

The price is in my opinion simply a product of profit, custom engineering, tiny production run and non-industrial assembly.

They should have bought one-the-market 6wd ATVs instead.

I would load an Osprey with this hardware by pushing the trailer backwards up the ramp with the vehicle, uncouple it and push it to the front end of the cargo area.
    The drive vehicle into it backwards, pull the trailer to the vehicle, connect both, rig the whole stuff and voila - about five to ten minutes.
    Upon arrival you would only need to loosen the rigging and drive out - one minute or less.