Quote Originally Posted by Wargames Mark View Post
At my day-job, we have been trying to make things happen using the VBS2 system for computer gaming. Some of the senior retired folks are impressed.
I have a proffessional developers edition of VBS2 on my system. It only works well with real humans behind it. The only combat simulation that does a better job than most soldiers is the orders based AI-system in Steel Beasts.

However, with more time to make the game system more realistic in its portrayal of Soldiers, and with a system to support the conduct of non-combat tasks, it could go somewhere...eventually. Probably. Maybe. I guess...
Do not hold your breath. Computer simulations are extremely capable, but very limited. They are not virtual training areas!
They are basically calculators, which spit out the right result, given the right problem.
They can teach and they can do some limited experimentation, but that is about it.
The simulation itself is usually very un-important compared to how and how many people can use it for a specific purpose.