Thread: Electronic Publications

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Wink e pubs already do

you can hardly get a paper copy today!

you just can't carry 'em around. stuck in laptops or desktops

democratizing information should be a win/win and the more i think about it the better i like it.

Pull out your smart book Troops.

Quote Originally Posted by OfTheTroops View Post
    democratizing information should be a win/win and the more i think about it the better i like it.

Pull out your smart book Troops.
    I do agree with your points. Perhaps I was a little extreme in saying it was an appalling idea, as I agree that e-pubs are the status quo nowadays - and the search and index function can be extremely useful. Further, I imagine having a library of pubs in your hand that are linked through (i.e. jumping from a generic 'Operations' pub into a 'Mission Appreciation' pub if you select a link for more detailed information) would be beneficial.

I still believe that animation and technology intensive references won't equate to better material. A concise, relevant and applicable piece of doctrine or tactical note wouldn't need animation to explain itself - a diagram of room-clearing or tactical movement would be a 'nice to have' but without considerations and the reasons behind the drills explained in text it would be nugatory.
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan