Thread: MAJ Ehrhart - Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afgh.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Answer depends on what is the strategy ....

from JMA

re: jmm99
    ...While the campaign exemplified bravery and courage under impossible conditions, its long-term strategic goals never came close to being realized - and a lot of good men were killed for little lasting purpose.
    How close it this to an accurate description of the situation in Afghanistan?
    I saw the reasonable purpose of OEF as neutralization (kill, capture or convert; of which, kill seemed the most likely probability) of key AQ leadership as retribution for 9/11 and specific deterrence of them from leading future attacks. We came close at Tora Bora.

I still see that as a reasonable long-term strategy, but not at the cost of engagement in "state-building" ("nation-building" seems to be somewhat out of favor, and flavor, this year ), and involvement in South Asian and Roof of the World politics, in which we have no existential interest - and only a diluted "vital" interest.

The UN-NATO-ISAF strategy (as it appears to me; e.g., today's news) is not one that I endorse; but not being on anyone's staff or advisory panel, my opinion is worth spit.

Cheers

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 04-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.