Thread: MAJ Ehrhart - Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afgh.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Understand your point Ken...I don't know, when I was on exchange with the British Army they were not too keen on the LSW (5.56mm mag fed weapon). While it has been over a decade since that experience, the general feeling seemed to be that the LSW was really only a DMR.

Of course, the other argument is that the gunner carrying the SAW only has 100rds in a "nutsack" available for immediate use.

Kaur, I understand the "3 rds in 18" at 500m" concept, but that seems like that's not quite the point of a squad suppressive weapon. I thought a "machine gun" was supposed to provide a beaten zone of fire in order to kill/injure within that beaten zone, to provide sustained or cyclic grazing fire in the defensive, or to suppress the enemy to allow fire and maneuver...i.e., I don't just want one guy getting shot in the chest, I want 7-8 guys to either be hit in a cone of fire, or at least fixed and unable to move or shoot back at me whilst I try to blow them to smithereens.

So if I can't use the IAR for suppressive fire...what do I do with it? In what situation should I be using automatic fire from a magazine fed weapon at greater than CQB range?

Not being saractic, I'm honestly open to new ideas.
    Last edited by Vojnik; 10-24-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Clarification