Military Review just published an article I put together on Sendero Luminoso's resurgence in Peru.

Summary:
The decapitation of Sendero Luminoso (SL) in conjunction with the use of local security forces and a whole-of-government approach allowed Peru to defeat SL in the 1990s. A failure to follow through with the benefits of government services and a lack of pressure by security forces has allowed SL to regroup. In order to achieve a lasting victory the Peruvian government must address the foundations of insurgency: the intransigent insurgent leadership and the welfare of the population. Peru’s current challenges provide an admonition to the US in its current efforts to consolidate gains in Iraq and in support of other allies facing insurgency.

The full article is available here
http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/Military...031_art011.pdf

Since the time when I originally wrote the piece I think there has been considerable progress in the renewal of Peruvian intelligence and targeting capabilities. The Huallaga column has taken considerable losses through effective operations. There has also been some discussion on bringing back local defense forces.

I also think Peru's current problems are important for us to look at as we move forward in (or pull back from) Iraq and Colombia.

Mike Burgoyne