Well, I will not argue against the hard cold facts of "might makes right," even a country like the U.S. that sees itself as a shining example goodness leans heavily on "or we'll destroy your economy or kick your ass." as the tag line when we engage others.

But what you offer is an endless cycle of bloody conflict without end; and I think we can do better than that by thinking more about why conflicts start rather than about how to suppress the next uprising. Taking your argument to the logical conclusion, an advisor to the government of Sri Lanka should tell them the current victory is a half measure, and that they will only have stability when they have killed or driven off the island every last Tamil. Of course that leaves 60,000,000 very pissed of Tamils just a few miles away in India...

But as you say, these things are complicated, and indeed, shaking off the disruptions caused by generations of Western Colonialism is at the heart of many of the insurgent conflicts we've seen since, oh, about the beginning of Western Colonialism. But in Sri Lanka there are two distinct groups of Tamils as I understand it: those who have lived there for centuries and those who were imported to work the tea; but regardless, the fact is that they are all there now and must learn to live together as a nation if they want the cycle of violence to end.

When I say "must" address conditions of Poor Governance (defined as perceptions from the perspective of the insurgent segment of the populace, and often irrational to the counterinsurgents perspective, and possibly quite disconnected from fact as well); I don't mean we are compelled to engage to fix it. Much of this type of conflict is really none of our business and we set ourselves up for international terrorist attacks when we take one side over the other. No, I mean "must" as in if one wants to see true resolution of the problem they must address the roots and not just attack the symptoms.

I suspect if I looked at the Sri Lanken Constitution I would find a document that allows or perhaps even drives the type of discrimination that fuels this conflict. I suspect that if I look at the laws and polices of the government in general I would find the same.

So, my perspective and advice to the government and people there remains the same:

"The current victory is just a suppression of the symptoms of insurgency. The true insurgency is not the LTTE who you have defeated, but rather lives in the hearts and minds of the Tamil people who perceive that the governance of Sri Lanka as applied to them is poor. They may not accept your legitimacy, so look hard at how you fill governmental positions and ensure that it is a process that all have an opportunity to participate in and shape. They may feel that the rule of law as applied to them is not just. Look to your justice system and assess it carefully as to if it is biased against or for some groups over others, or if it is untimely, or too harsh, or too easily manipulated, etc. They may feel that they do not receive equal respect and opportunity as a matter of status. Human biases are natural, so laws must be enacted and enforced that protect against such abuses, whereas many of the laws you have enacted since independence have actually codified them. Fix this. Lastly, build off ramps for insurgency. True insurgency is about politics, and while it is impossible to create a society where all is harmony and everyone agrees on the big issues, it is not impossible to create governmental systems that ensure that every segment of the society has an equal and fair representation in the government, and that change can be affected in regular, certain, and trusted ways. The Tamils are a minority, so pure democracy will always leave them out. Consider modifications such as we employed in the US to protect against the dangers of democracy, such as the balancing equal representation by region, as well as equal representation by populace to ensure that critical regional issues are not run over by a larger populace in another region. As to the Tamils, you need to push for these changes as well, but you will not likely succeed through violence. The LTTE elevated your cause and showed that you have the will and ability to fight, now it is time to take your argument to the media, to the courts, to the streets in peaceful demonstration. To employ a type of pressure for governmental evolution through non-violent tactics that history shows are more likely to yield the results you seek."

Yes, every insurgency manifests uniquely based on all of the many factors at work. But they all involve people, and they all involve some group that is grossly dissatisfied with their current lot under the current government; and there are indeed commonalities in that fact. I'm sure I don't have it exactly right, but I am equally sure I am digging in the right location.

Besides, even if I am wildly wrong, there are thousands of others out their selling threat-centric and population centric techniques for addressing the symptoms of insurgency, so that's pretty well covered. The fact is that the symptoms must be managed, and there is merit in both of those camps, so I am fine with the content of their work, I just don't think it can actually resolve an insurgency though. I think there is room for at least one to dig for the roots.