Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
I assume you are the same William F. Owen who wrote Patrol-based infantry doctrine?

If that is so then we are closer to agreement than it appears (unless you just like a good argument
I am.... and all the ideas contained in that article are actually a plea to recover to the basics, and raise the bar. In point of fact, there is little wrong with the actual practice of UK infantry training. The fault lies with the ideas that underpin it. UK infantry tends to be very well built, but just poorly designed, if that makes sense.
See it like a rising tide needing to lift all the ships rather than just cherry-picking the best of the rest and probably underutilising them.
Concur. Good analogy.

Now why Kenya is a good option is that what I would propose for the training at the various levels is because it would probably be problematic in the UK given the lunatic Health and Safety gestapo that exist.
Lunatic Health and Safety exist anywhere that UK troops do. Kenya makes not odds. There is also Cyprus, which is probably one of the best Coy and Platoon training areas anywhere in the world. - BUT, I also believe that some infantry training in the cold and wet is very essential, as that sort of environment really tests determination and personal administration.

(BTW have you updated that 2006 piece? If so where.)
No, but watch this space.