in its concluding paragraphs contained the thought that failure of the Germans was due in large part to the fact that "...Generals became more concerned with protecting the institution than they did with their mission" or words to that effect. I read that book so many years ago I do not even recall the title but I recall that the author was German and had been there. Regardless, I readily recall the comment to this day. That is principally because in 45 years in and with the US Army and Marines, I saw evidence on a frequent basis over the last 20 or so years of that time that in both organizations the syndrome was and is alive and well .

I have always believed that if an institution was reasonably competent and did, as an organization, what was right then there would be no need for it to 'protected.' Nothing over the past couple of decades has caused me to change my mind on that score.

Long way of agreeing with ChipColbert. Morality is an individual construct so everyone's entitled to their own. Organizations cannot have morals though their leaders can insure they operate in accordance with group morals that mesh with those of the society in which that organization lives or operates. Sometimes the moral construct of an organization and the nation or that of some individuals and the organization may differ.

In the case of an Armed Force, the organizational moral construct should never differ greatly in substance from that of the nation to which the force belongs. Individuals in that force may be at variance on some aspects -- and if those differences are significant, then the individual should work for change or leave. At no point should the protection of the institution be an issue for the institution per se or for individuals in that institution. IMO that particularly applies to the more senior people whose concern should be insuring the organization hews to the national norms and improving the institution, not protecting it.

Yes, I realize self protection is a base trait of all bureaucracies.

I think that's my point...