Thread: Marine Career Advice - MOS Selection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Marine Career Advice - MOS Selection

I'm a Marine Lieutenant some months away from MOS selection and I am wondering which MOS's are most relevant to small wars. I'm trying not to let Iraq color my perception or expectations of warfare, but at the same time I'm inclined to believe I will most likely be deployed to small wars.

I am currently contracted to be an aviator, and would personally like to fly a CAS platform. However, that seems to have a peripheral role in small wars, and I am torn by a desire to be relevant to the current and upcoming conflicts. In their work "Airpower in Small Wars", Corum and Johnson conclude that reconnaissance and transport are the more important contributions of airpower. That would suggest rotary-wing platforms, particularly the UH-1. The Delta Hornet has the ATARS package, but I'm not so sure of its utility in a low-intensity conflict.

I am also contemplating (not for the first time) dropping my air contract, though this does bring with it certain bureaucratic complications. The natural choice is Infantry, though I know I don't have the physical toughness to excel at or enjoy it. That also rules out ground intelligence. I'm an egghead - I majored in Math (though I had some IR coursework that introduced me to the notion of small wars). Arty, Signals Intelligence, and Communications are the fields where I know I could be technically proficient, and I'm seriously considering SigInt.

Are any of my conclusions off-base? Are there aspects to my decision process that I'm overlooking?
    Last edited by mmx1; 02-28-2007 at 04:39 AM.