Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
At the outset, we had situations where taliban had been captured or had otherwise surrendered en masse.

http://www.combatfilms.com/cfrtv_archive_0013.asp

What is different now from then, and why can't we get back to impacting their combat power in a similar fashion.

I believe I have my own answer, but are they more mobile and dispersed than they were in '01-'02, more committed given that they are in a resistance insurgency phase?

I tend to rub my temples when I think of the successes at the beginning, and try to ascertain why this has become so hard.
Coming from a completely non-military perspective here, though I've watched these processes in a few places.

I think this may have something to do with that transition from "clear" to "hold". When you're clearing, you have the initiative; you decide where you will clear and when. The other guy has to react to your choices. Holding is a lot more passive. If you're holding a lot of territory you have to spread out, and you have to support those spread out folks. The other guy can watch you. learn your routines, and decide where and when he wants to challenge your hold. He takes the initiative.

Of course holding doesn't preclude offense, but once you make that transition a large part of your effort, likely most of it, will be devoted to an essentially passive process that can allow the other side to take over the initiating role.

Again, a comment from an amateur perspective that may make no sense at all to the professionals... disregard if that's the case!