Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
I don't want to get into an argument with you but I need to say that looking at those two videos no one can reach a definitive opinion on the quality or otherwise of the aspects of the Brit AOSB.

My interest in this subject is how best to structure the initial pre-course sekection process so as to reduce the attrition rate during the course itself.

I believe that on the information available the Brits run the most comprehensive pre-course selection process (the AOSB in two parts - first for two days then the 'main board' for four days). I hope to get a reply as to their attrition rate over the 44 weeks until commissioning.

Selection of youngsters with leadership potential does not have to be tough... it needs to be rigourous enough to be accurate... thats all.

I'm am also trying to get beyond the feel good situation that comes with the perception that those who pass are of the chosen few and get down to work out which is the most efficient system.

In this process I am constantly reminded what TE Lawrence said about the Brit officer around WW1 - that there was too much body and not enough mind - they have made progress in fixing this I believe (some believe the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction).
I apologize if I have offended you in any way. JMA, my grandfather was a British Indian Army officer from 1942-1950, so I was always under the impression that becoming an officer in Royal Army is a very tough nut to crack. But as I said, videos suggested the other way. I could be wrong, but the way I see it, that the cream of British population is shying away from the armed forces.

BTW, I do not have any doubt that the British training is still one of the best
in the world. I have seen a reality TV series about Royal Marines and their training was extremely good from what I judged from a layman's point of view.