I think the difference is that I'm not sure he legally expatrioted himself, anymore than retired LTC Hackworth did. However, that is a minor issue compared to having a few mid level bureaucrats basically handing out a death sentence on an American citizen in secret. If Americans are conducting illegal activities in a foreign country and their security forces kill them then it may be legal within their system, but if we kill them without due process that may well be a slippery slope.

In the case of Awlaki I have already stated I agree with the action. The logic of doing so is undeniable in my book, but "if" this does open the door to wider targeting of Americans without due process then it is of concern. There are a lot of young Americans and Europeans that think they want to terrorists, and even travel to the Middle East, South Asia, Somalia for training and get disillusioned when they get there and leave without ever committing a crime worthy of death. Yet, if Americans are in a particular camp with the "possible intent" of conducting a terrorist attack on the homeland should we take them out? It is obviously a very dangerous threat, but it is still a potential threat. What if we're just concerned they're training other terrorists on how to survive in the U.S.?

On Awlaki we agree, but this business can get very complicated.