I couldn't argue against the Indian wars analogy. Most everything we need to know is already there. One nagging element of comparison is the problems caused by translators who either by incompetence or complicity create all kinds of tactical and political problems. The classic example IMHO occured in 1877 when Crazy Horse the principal war leader of the Lakota brought in his band. They came in fully armed, undefeated. At the same time, Chief Joseph and Looking Glass of the Nez Perce were causing problems to the West. Crazy Horse was approached in an effort to enlist his help against the Nez Perce. Lakota oral tradition tells that during the meeting of some Officers and Crazy Horse, CH told them, " I will fight them until they are no more". There were several Lakota present at this meeting. The interpretor told the Officers present that CH said, " I will fight you until you are no more". This then caused his attempted arrest and subsequent killing. This in turn caused Sitting Bull to keep his band out for another 5 years and many Lakota say the killing of CH was a prime factor in the Lakota participation in the Ghost Dancing, which in turn caused more problems in 1890. The last Indian combat occured in 1973 at Wounded Knee II when Lakota militants occupied that site and had a stand off. Federal forces, Marshals and FBI, and Indian warriors exchanged gunfire more than once. This action also resulted in a fire fight at the Jumping Bull compound later on which resulted in 2 Marshals KIA. Incidentally, there was Ghost Dancing at Wounded Knee II and at least one authentic Ghost Dance shirt from the previous dust-up was worn. Two Medicine Men, Crow Dog and his Uncle, played a significant role at WK II. I don't think we've ever fully understood the interplay of spirituality and combat but that's a topic for another discussion. It's all been done already starting with King Philip's War in the 1600s to Wounded Knee II in 1973.