Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
As one who spent a lot of time overseas before, during and after the Kennedy era, your perceptions of the amount of nominal respect or liking differ markedly from mine.

King JajJa's comment re: US hypocrisy I first heard in China in 1947 from several non-US persons, not all Chinese and including some supposed 'friends and allies.' Over the years, all around the globe, I have heard the US denounced for all sorts of things, real and imagined. IMO, the absolute low point was during the mid stages of Viet Nam -- the second Bush era didn't come close to that.
I was speaking of Africa and not nearly as far back as 1947. That was a year before I saw the light of day. I respect your experience and understanding from that time in Asia.

With respect to dislike of the US, that Bush 2 era was in fact continuation of the attitudes engendered by the Clinton, Rubin and Summers establishment of economic hegemony around the world and his proclivity for foreign adventurism added to that. Clinton bombed four nations with virtually no provocation or rationale and he sent Troops to three. Bush attacked only two, both with provocation -- Iraq in part due to the failure of his four predecessor's failures to properly respond to attacks and probes emanating from the Middle East for over 20 years.
This is more a political discussion, so I will only say that Bush the bully's rhetoric and actions, from my perspective, accelerated the decline of America's respect around the world, yet I know most of Africa. Yes, I understand Kingjaja's comment about AIDS. His wife did help a lot in that realm.

Bottom line, America's respect in the world is not a goal for which to strive, IMHO. Justice and effective help, in partnership with Africa is a much more honorable goal. I think we would all agree with that. Yet, it is hard to be trusted when you have a tarnished reputation.

Our governmental system is a part of that problem with 2, 4, 6, and 8 year changes of direction but much of it is self inflicted condescending nannyism. The fact that our 'Diplomats' in too many cases ensconce themselves in gilded ghettoes doesn't help and our penchant for supporting those who talk nicely about us is noted by all.
Agreed. And, we peddle this same form of democracy to Africa. Of course, it is up to them to accept or reject it. They have much larger problems than the USA has to deal with, and short terms of office hardly give their leaders an opportunity to do much good.