Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
...the politicians haven't created and inflicted the cult of powerpoint nor that of the reflective belt upon the military. The politicians don't much care if the military is FOBed up or not. They have proved that. The politicians are only partially responsible for constructing the temple of the night raid. The military doesn't adapt at military things they way we would hope. That is partially the fault of the military.
Congress dictates how those who like Powerpoint and Reflective Belts, those who order night raids will be selected, 'educated' and promoted. It approves those who get to Flag rank. Note the words dictate and approve...
We have gone on doing the same thing for ten years, or one year at a time 10 ten times. That is the sense I get from bits of reading. Are we still road bound? I get the sense that we mostly are...
Again, speak to your Congress. The Armed forces are risk averse; all those things you cite would entail risk of more casualties and lost careers. It's not a 'risk averse' calling, so why are they so risk averse?
Have we lightened the soldiers load in the 10 years we've been walking those sere hills and mountains?
Yes. Almost everything but the Armor; the heaviest item. That enforced risk aversion again.
Do very high ranking military officers still go along with the fantasy that the Pak Army/ISI is useful?
I'm not sure any ever did believe that though they were told by their civilian masters to be nice for several reasons. They do what they're told...