Thread: Mali mainly, 2012 coup, drugs & more

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well I got beaten to the point by Mr Lagrange, as I wanted, in a less experty manner, to say the same thing.

I think airlift, air logistics (re-fueling & intelligence) all are appreciated and not just symbolic. My understanding was that it always was one of the weakest point in the French military chain, airlift is often strained, and the US has an obvious advantage in the field of technological air assets (satellites, drones, AWACS...). And my british bias may be showing but I am not too surprised they were among the first to lend support, albeit small.

I'm also not too surprised about the possible mixed signals from the USA. Ultimately I am sure there will be some support (if it is not already in place behind the scenes), but I understand that there is internal politics & international image issues that must be taken into account (plus the usual US-French divergence on how to handle problems).

Regarding the last post by davidbfpo, is that really a strategic divergence? I only see a difference in displayed optimism on the matter of reaching the ideal objective (elimination of all hostile, unwanted groups in the region).

My general impression is that France is looking to do what it usually does in Africa: A quick clean "heavy lifting" job, then control & contain the problem via our already long standing military presence in the region (with a force in Mali itself, to support an international mandated force and be able to cope with any real emergency).

I have read in several places that late Spring will end the war & big manoeuvers season because of the heat, so I suppose the plan is to go as far north as possible till then, then to consolidate the Mali and ECOWAS force, and use French forces either as a force multiplier or in targeted operations.

Could we imagine a Chinese involvement, even symbolic, in this?
    Isn't China whole posture in those matters to condone as little as possible any sort of international intervention that would in turn weaken the concept of national sovereignty?
    I guess China already feels like it has done its part by not shooting down on sight the UN resolution...
    Last edited by Laeke; 01-27-2013 at 11:44 AM.