Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
1. Each educational experience fulfills multiple roles. Some classroom, some socialization. Meeting and keeping in touch with peers from various walks of life is important to being effective; it creates an automatic networking system.

2. Trade schools but particularly in DC offer huge insights that are unavailable in schoolbook courses filled with students fresh out of undergrad, looking for a coupla extra letters behind their names. I used my GI Bill to study in both DC and Boston in "mid-career" programs, and I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

3. There is a culture in the military, unhealthy to my way of thinking, that denigrates education, military or civilian. The Army is pretty good about playing up PME, but I have actually heard officers from sister Services bragging about their avoidance of resident PME in order to spend more time in the cockpit/bridge.

4. Yingling is right in saying that we have to broaden the educational base of our GOs. At the GO level, tactical talent won't get you very far.
On your #3, I would remark that there are good reasons for this. First of all, what is offered in military schools should not really count as "education." "Training", yes. "Indoctrination", most definitely. Military "education" is an oxymoron, imo. And military people rightfully understand that, and avoid it like the plague. Now, if only MBA candidates would do the same....