Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
How can that be good?---if in fact the Maidan was not an outburst against the rule of law and good goveranance what was it? ---the neo Nazi nationalist takeover that Putin and Co. claim it was or was it an undercover Western land grab to takeover the raw resources of the country?
I think it can all be true simultaneously. There is nothing contradictory about Washington using the cover of ousting a corrupt president to seize control of Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence. And just because Yanukovych was corrupt and had authoritarian tendencies, it doesn't mean his successor is any better by default. I think Yanukovych had to go, but the West did itself no favors in the method that it orchestrated his departure; nor with the installation of Yatsenyuk as president. There were political routes available for a more agreeable transition as well as candidates with policies with more appeal among the public. But I suspect that wasn't the real aim in the removal of Yanukovych who, only months ago, was being enticed by the West for an EU association agreement. But after he rejected the terms of the agreement, suddenly his long known corruption becomes justification for his unconstitutional removal. That's politics, but let's do ourselves a favor and not pretend that the West is innocent in all of this.

The Maidan regardless of what one thinks was an expression of the population and we at a distance should accept that simple fact and provide them any support in getting their economy and country moving again all the while an invasion army sits on their borders, the Russian special forces and GRU are in the country and the Russian backed President raped the country.
It was the expression of a small segment of the population, and even that segment of the population is not head over heels in favor of Yatsenyuk and his policies. It's for this reason that revolutions have multiple stages - see Egypt as the most recent example. But the West is not interested in a democratic outcome in Ukraine (or Egypt) but instead with pushing through a range of policies over the objections of the Ukrainian people (if necessary). Hence the push from the unelected Yatsenyuk to implement policies he publicly admits are difficult and unpopular. He's not responsive to the public will.