Your election idea is nonsense... but do tell why you believe the US Administration has taken such a wimpish position over the Russian actions in Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
The official U.S. position (as stated to the public) is the complete withdrawl of Russian forces from Ukraine, the cessation of Russian support for separatists, and the return of Crimea to Ukraine. I think the first one is realistic, the second one achievable, and the third one out of reach.

Nope. And I haven't stated my support of economic sanctions anywhere in this thread. In fact - I've been pretty clear in multiple statements that sanctions are generally ineffective.

My idea was and remains the implementation of inclusive, internationally monitored elections in Ukraine. That brings in the moderates and isolates the radicals. Crimea should be returned to Ukraine, but that's a matter of principle, not material advantage, and it's not central to resolving Ukraine's economic crisis (the problem driving this conflict in the first place). And some arrangement should be conceived that brings Ukraine and Russia more closely integrated with the EU/West (you know, 'keep your friends close, your enemies closer' kind of thing...).