Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
The Soufan Group publish a free e-newsletter and so far they have been of interest. This week came this short comment:http://soufangroup.com/tsg-intelbrie...-global-jihad/

The opening two passages:

I do think the era of containment overseas maybe evolving, although without any clear direction. Just whether staying alert at home and simply being better pre-attack intervention is a moot point.
I read the short article and frankly was disappointed that so many senior analysts could come to this conclusion.

The age of large-scale international intervention into conflict areas has passed for the moment and the battlefield is shifting back from war zones to disaffected neighborhoods—forcing intelligence agencies to work extremely closely with local police to disrupt known wolves of terror instead of documenting their crimes after the fact.
Before and since 9/11 there have been several terrorist attacks outside war zones, so to assume the recent attack in Tunisia represents a turning point seems a bit odd. To assume there are no longer any war zones discounts the major war zones in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Nigeria, and Libya. I see little new in the character of Islamist terrorism other than its mindless escalation in violence, especially violence directed against other Muslims. Countering the threat will continue to require military, diplomatic, law enforcement, and informational efforts.