Thread: SILENT SOLDIER - The Man behind the Afghan Jehad (on-line read)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Silent Soldier - The Man behind the Afghan Jehad (on-line read)

Silent Soldier - The Man behind the Afghan Jehad
    Brigadier (Retd.) Mohammad Yousaf, S.Bt.

HE WAS, FOR YEAR, AT THE TOP OF THE KGB'S HIT LITS, WITH A HUGE PRICE ON HIS HEAD, BUT DANGER OR UNPOPULARITY NEVER CONCERNED HIM. HE WAS ACCUSTOMED TO BOTH.

In September, 1983, I was a brigade commander attending a divisional exercise at Quetta when I received a telephone call that was to send me on a new posting to ISI. I was told I must fly to Islamabad immediately to report to the Director-General. To say I was apprehensive would be an understatement. I was filled with misgivings. I knew the reputation of ISI, I knew that all who worked within it were regarded with intense suspicion by their seniors as well as their peers, I knew that I had no previous intelligence training and, above all, I knew the reputation of the Director-General, General Akhtar to be that of a dedicated and demanding taskmaster. I had served under him previously when I commanded a battalion in his division. Now he was a lieutenant-general in charge of the country's most powerful military organization. Of the thirty or so brigadiers whose postings had been announced at that time I was the only one going to ISI. Within 72 hours I reported to my new boss.
    MUCH more here:
    http://www.sovietsdefeatinafghanista...lish/index.htm

Although this seams not to be full book (or finished post on Web) I still think that some people will find this read interesting.
    Last edited by Sarajevo071; 09-04-2007 at 05:09 PM.