Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post

The 2i/c (a Captain, but sometimes a Major himself as well) takes care of the Coy/Sqn HQ and Admin (Coy/Sqn Logistics in general: the Company/Squadron Sergeant Major commands "A1" Echelon, not the 2i/c - my error - front-line resupply, casevac, and HQ defence, while Company/Squadron Quarter-Master Sergeant commands "B" Echelon - CQ/SQ - stores, etc.). I think the 2i/c listens in to both the Coy/Sqn radio net and the Bn/Rgt net. The 2i/c (or CSM/SSM) may lead an armed resupply body to, and casevac back from, the front line ("F" Echelon).
Very interesting. The role by the 2i/c above is performed by the company First Sergeant in Combat, and a combination of the XO and 1SG in garrison. I know certain light infantry units reverse that, with the XO running logistics and the 1SG up front. The XO in Tank/Cav/Mech units has a fighting vehicle, wheras the 1SG gets a HMMWV and an APC, and hangs with the supply sergeant.

I knew many foreign armies used Majors as company commanders. (the Iraqis do) I didn't know that they had two assistants in addition to the platoon leaders, I guess it makes sense.