Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
Actually, no, my friend. I watched them repair the wing on that bird with 100mph tape in 1984 in Lubumbashi. Gratefully I was with Paul Wenzel in the DAO C12 (of course, Paul pranged two of them as I recall) and I never flew on it. But (copying the Holiday Express ads) I did fly ShabAir, Sudan Air, Egypt Air etc

Tom
Memorable flights in questionable old aircraft.

Fairchild C123 Provider with one engine on fire. What made this flight interesting was that it was our second jump during jump week. Jump Master made us get out of the airplane. That was one order I didn't mind taking. BTW, the plane made it back safely. I love that aircraft.

De Havilland C7 Caribou (Air National Guard need flight time). I was a little concerned looking at this particular aircraft. Ugly thing and old like some VW Bug all rusted out and leaking oil. The plane flew fine that day. The only thing interesting about this flight was Sgt. Kim Allen decided to show us that chute rigging was more of an art than a necessity. He demonstrated this to us by opening up his main chute and stuffing it back into the pack. The key, he stated, was the pilot chute. It looked like a lump of #### on his back. He used it. It worked but it didn't look pretty like art. Kim Allen was a little crazy. Last ROMAD out of Vietnam and all that stuff. I hope he is doing okay.

Cessna 02 Skymaster - About as ugly as the Caribou. The flying bathtub. Logged on a flight as a passenger. Went on a practice mission firing Willie Petes at targets. I threw up until I was dehydrated. Came close to ####ting in my pants. And that's no ####. Air America type flying. Scared me half to death.