Oh how I wish I had the time to put pen to paper and do just what Tom recommends. It's a challenge, and I feel like the character in the old Twilight Zone episode who has access to all the books in the world, but just broke his glasses.

I have posted once to the MCLL page regarding ISF training, but beyond that most of my recent experience delves into areas tied into OPSEC, so it is difficult. Right now, remaining focused on company training plans and administration are my primary tasks.

Back onto lessons learned and AARs...I feel strongly that the task of polling the entire Marine Corps for lessons learned is not insurmountable, but it does require resources that are in limited supply. All across the Corps, local initiatives are growing to pass on the lessons that are the hardest won, but they remain localized to staffs, battalions, etc. When I was the S-3A of 3d LAR, bouncing around Iraq with TF Wolfpack (working mostly for 2BCT), we were polled for bi-weekly (IIRC) lessons learned for MCLL inputs. Sadly, I think I was the only one reading them due to SIPR access and computer resources within the TF.

I do not know the modus operandi of current MCLL collection teams, but I believe that smaller teams embedded within a battalion or groups of MiTTs for say, 30 days, could mine a treasure trove of topics that are timely and relevant. 30 days would allow the team to get outside the wire, see things for their own eyes and translate the raw knowledge into true understanding. I've seen collectors come in, pow-wow with staff and commanders for maybe a day at the most, but it always seems to come at the worst time. Without sufficient warning, the folks who have the most to say or write are either task overloaded at that time, or there is unnecessary thrashing about to align operations schedules to face time with a team member. The collectors NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN PATROLS, CORDONS, SWEEPS, etc. to get the whole picture and distill the true lessons out of the hundreds of things going on.

The Operating Forces are already stretched, so where do we get combat arms team members from for these 30 day stints? I don't have the answer, but I believe it is critical that we find one. Although battalion staffs pending a relief-in-place do correspond via SIPR, to get as much updated information as possible before the incoming unit leaves CONUS, that only hits the tip of the chunk of ice. There is always a time lag in sifting through the information, and our most important sensors and shooters (Pfcs and LCpls) may be missing out. How great would it be to have a collection team pull 30 days with a deployed unit, then spend a week or two with a battalion pending deploy, discussing current lessons with a company at a time in a secure setting? The lessons and AARs can remain posted to MCLL, but having a team member available to answer questions and provide context to the topic would be an incredible enabler.

Historians and theorists have little role, if any, in this critical task. Perhaps some of the funding that is used to commission studies from think tanks could be better applied against TAD, logistical, and printing support for guys who have gone "boots on the ground" and seen firsthand what is going on.

Let's not forget the Iraq Army and Interior Ministry types...Is anyone talking to them? If not, how do we know they have nothing relevant to say until we try? It's surprising, once you get past the pleasantries and social graces, just what some of these warriors have to say.