Ken: I wonder how this thread would have run had Steve not titled it "The Israeli option on Strategy" and had not even mentioned Israel?
The short answer is the same if it had incorporated the same material. regardless of title, the strategy at least as I read it said we--the US--are the stand alone imperial power in the world. I think anyone would have much trouble selling that inside the US and we got a pretty good slice of what the world reaction would be from JJ.

It would I suspect be somewhat different if it had incorporated more of what you put into it. A measured response is essentially a middle of the road strategy and one we are fairly comfortable with although we have had aberrations.

I do not, however, agree with the blanket assessment that everyone hates us and always will. That is a simplistic and flawed assessment. Everyone one does not hate us. Steve Blair is correct that we often want them all to love us. There have been periods where anti-American sentiments have run high. We are in one now. We have had periods where pro-American sentiments were strong. What really counts is when and where our interests and our pursuit of those interests are acceptable or in favor with other players on the strategic stage and where and when they are not.

Best

Tom