Thread: "Face" among the Arabs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman
    A little off topic but somewhat related: have any cops here ever had an Arab suspect in the interview/interrogation room? How did it go? Did you use a confrontational method like Reid?

Just curious. I haven't run into this yet but someday I might.
    If you have an AKO log-in, I recommend a read of the paper I linked a while back in another thread. If not, well, my review of the pub may address part of your question.

Just to be clear, the Reid technique is not what I would call confrontational. With its focus on the concept of themes it is meant to develop a certain type of rapport with the source and draw them into filling out the rest of the story. If the interrogation truly becomes confrontational, then you've moved away from the fundamental tenets of the Reid technique. Although there are some useful aspects to the Reid approach, as I've stated before, at its most basic, it is essentially a longer narrative version of a leading question. And for those who haven't experience with interrogation, a leading question - in any form - contaminates the source narrative and can have a significant negative effect upon the validity of information obtained from that point forward.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 01-05-2008 at 12:21 PM.