There is a good documentary on HBO concerning mass rape in the Congo as a phenomenon that has its roots in the Rwandan genocide and organized rape campaign by the former Hutu hardliner government and militias.

The woman who directed, filmed, and wrote the program is an American who suffered a mass rape in Georgetown, Wash DC so she does openly bring her own suffering into the story. That for me did not weaken the impact of the program, to the contrary it made it more relevant and I have seen this first hand.

Interestingly enough some of the rape madness has transferred itself onto previous cultural inclinations in bizarre ways. In one set of interviews, the filmmaker spoke with some of the Mai Mai who had been consoldated in the new Congolese army. The Mai Mai originated in the early 1960s turmoils under Pierre Mulele. They believed that magic would turn bullets to water and they used "Mai Mai" or "Mulele Mai" (water water in Swahili and Arabic) when they charged. this was of course helped by the Congolese military habit of shooting in the air or closing their eyes whilst shooting so it did seem these warriors were indeed impervious to bullets. Later use of mercenaries, Belgian and American advisors, and close air support put paid to that theory.

But it has since remerged with a resurreccted Mai Mai. This time rape is considered to offer immunity from bullets as explained in the film.

I will admit I really felt the surge of pure hate come storming back last evening when they were interviewing some of the animals involved in this. Sometimes killing is not hard at hall; not being able to kill is far harder. I truly sympathize and empathize with the UN guys on the ground.

Best

Tom

See

The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo