Thread: Security Force Assistance: Roles and Missions for SOF and Conventional Forces

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should have explained further

I realize this is not dealing with issues at the tactical level, unfortunately through the years this is where it has started. At some point those at the top started way down the totem pole where I am today. This unwillingness to work together is not something that started when they got into upper levels, it started years before when they were at the tactical level. My statement about 6 years after some of the most combined operations in US history we are still trying to cut each others throats, applies to all levels and in many cases between all services. Someone please help me understand how it is, if I at the bottom of the pecking order can see this, how is it those above me just don't get it? I attribute a lot of this attitude to the simple fact we (SOF/conventional) do not interact in our professional/advanced schooling/development. It has to start somewhere, where better than in the school house. This goes inline with my statement regarding many forget where they came from. Yes many of us started on the conventional side, but many forget what that side is like, additionally how fast all sides change. Just because we started on the conventional side does not make us experts in planning on the use of conventional forces, especially in todays asymetrical battlefield. By integrating both SF and conventional in the school house, both stay abreast of how they are operating. Allows our brillant minds on both sides an open forum to learn from each other about each other.

As I just reread the initial posting I think we have all strayed off the orginal questions ask of us which I'm still contemplating my response.

For the forum;
    -These new organizations are here to stay, what is the best way for SF to handle it?
    Refuse to deal with them? Pretend like it ain’t happening?, Get on board and work with them, thereby assisting in the direction they go?, which if done right will only complement SF be it MARSOC(JMO).
    -What is the best way for new organizations (Army, Navy, USAF, Marines) to go about training these individuals and teams for this type duty. In MSOAG’s case, they have to meet the SOCOM standards, but what is the best way to train “conventional” forces? Don’t they deserve first class training to prepare them for this type duty?
    -I do advocate a screening process for these conventional advisors. We do it all the time in the Marine Corps for Recruiters and Drill Instructors and in the Drill Instructors case, they really weed out those who can’t cut it. I have often heard the term “Drill Instructor Mafia” used. Its almost like they are an elite force within the Marine Corps within that context. Although both Recruiter school and Drill Instructor school are very demanding, I would say Drill Instructors are better analogy because they are teachers, trainers and mentors. Believe it or not(Sorry GySgt Emery, don’t mean to shatter the myth). My point is that Drill Instructors are weeded out and have a course that does this. Plenty have been dropped, so it is possible for conventional advisor courses to do the same, different mindset but similar process.
    -Where is this leading, I will point out as I have before, that many of the Officers and SNCO’s in the Marine Corps who fought and won WW I and WW II cut their teeth in these “Savage Wars of Peace”. Lots of Marines made names for themselves during the Banana Wars (Chesty Puller).
    I don’t know where conventional advisors will lead and how history will look upon this, but I would love to hear others views, should conventional forces do this and move out into something that has for at least the last 40 years SF's province (as the SecDef pointed out), how do you do it and not just pay lip service and do it right?. From what I have read here there are many on this board with experience in many of these areas, love to see your views. I’ll button up now, helmet is on…
    Will once again resume my position on the bottom of the pecking order, just hope one day those who haven't been there in years remember where it was they got their start
    Last edited by ODB; 04-25-2008 at 04:59 AM.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.