Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
Then we're likely in fair agreement then Ken. An Army Major told me something the other night and that was that the BAR actually took three to run. One to pull the trigger, one to load, and one to carry/replenish ammo. Hope I haven't mangled that. Seems like the squad automatic weapon was an attempt to reach the ultimate of having BAR/M60 like capability with a single troop carrying/deploying it. My preference though is for flexibility and sustainability with standardized ammunition, weapons in the squad reinforced as needed by other heavier weapons.
The BAR used 20 rd magazines, the BAR man needed no help in loading. No one routinely carried extra ammunition for the BAR though it was done on rare occasions (METT-TC again). The BAR Man had a BAR Belt. One model that carried 20 magazines, 400 rounds plus one in the weapon for 21 mags / 420 rounds, more than enough for most situations, another that carried 12 mags but that was issued with two six mag bandoliers for a total of 24 mags / 480 rds -- the idea was that the bandoliers could be carried by Riflemen in the squad; said Riflemen quickly figured out the solution to that was to lose their bandolier.... Links:

LINK.
LINK

The two imperatives were that the BAR Man be a little guy (harder to hit) and that if he got hit, the nearest man took the weapon and ammo to keep the weapon in play.

Agree with the rest of your comment.