Kiwigrunt:

Thank you for your kind reply.

If memory serves the British put eight battalion size formations into the Falklands (1 Welch Guards, 1 Scots Guards, 1/7 Gurkha, 2, Para, 3 Para, and 40, 42 and 45 RM Commando). I would describe the Welch and Scots Guards as dismounted mechanized infantry. I would also describe the remaining six formations as light infantry. Every Rifle Section in each battalion was authorized one GPMG.

It is interesting that to the best of my knowledge the two dismounted battalions neither tried to increase their number of GPMGs nor did they recommend post action that the number be increased.

The three Army light battalions both tried to double the number of GPMG's and recommended that the number be permanently doubled post action.

The three Royal Marine light battalions both tried to bring a GPMG and a Bren Gun for each section and recommended two guns per section post action.

In other words the guys who knew all about carrying heavy things were the most enthusiastic for the additional weight of another GPMG and 800 rounds of 7.62 x 51 link (about 56 pounds without the packaging).

The SAS were engaged in an action early on to cover the beach landing site. The target was a group of Argentine soldiers overlooking the landing beaches. They were called the "Fanning Hill Mob" by the SAS. If memory serves the SAS alloted 24 men to attack the Fanning Hill Mob. Twelve of the 24 carried a GPMG for the task.

See the books by Hastings, Frost and Vaux for more on this subject.

Regards

Richard W