Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
Just two details:

Article 2.4 of U.N. Charter defines international law...
I again ask you who is the enforcement agency for that 'law?'
Nobody should attempt to tell me that the present German government is Bush-friendly. It's not.
Agreed.
- "Europeans are pussies" (which is an embarrassing misunderstanding of facts. The mere idea that the Europeans wouldn't have been powerful enough in the past years is a joke. Several European countries could have crushed Yugoslavia on their own.)
True -- but they did not due to lack of political will. Then got annoyed at the US for having the will.
- some ignorance about realities, using interpretations which are solely accepted in the U.S. and irrelevant in 95% of the world.
Perhaps on the part of some, for myself and many others it's not ignorance but a total lack of concern for what the rest of the world thinks. The world has broadly been anti-American for many years, certainly all my lifetime and I first went overseas in 1947 and have spent over 12 years in one part of the world or another. The feeling is not as intense now as it was at the heighth of Viet Nam. Now we're just disliked, then there was almost hatred in some place. That stuff comes and goes.
That's quite disappointing, but it's also typical for military-related U.S.-dominated environments.
May annoy you but it seems like a quite logical reaction considering the environment, I'm unsure what else you would expect.
It's quite easily possible to discuss such matters much more fruitful in other arenas, even with Americans.
Fruitful in that you get more agreement with your opinions elsewhere?
This topic is really one that doesn't need much discussion. Most people easily agree. Just centre/right Americans have problems to understand it, as it collides with their fancy understanding of the USA.
I'll give you my favorite quote from Ms. Christy Blatchford, a Canadian newspaper Columnist; "...most Americans don't give a rat's ass what the rest of the world thinks."

And no, Marc, I will not quote McQuaig to him...