Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post

I find the Distributed Operations concept of the Marine Corps very interesting.
You may want to consult the DO thread http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=5636

The support squad has a designated marksman or DM, the grenadier humps a M32 multi-barrel grenade launcher, and the SAW man has a 7.62 AR.
Dedicated support squads make sense. I am a fan of M32, but I can't see a good reason for a 7.62mm AR. Makes no sense on the weight versus effect case unless it's actually a semi-auto sniper rifle.

I have read a great deal about bullets and which one the military should change to. 5.56, 6.5, 6.8 and 7.62. Also which rifles - HK416, M16A4, XM8, SCAR, LW, etc. It gives me a headache. I feel like the guy in Hamburger Hill talking about which eye to close when a flare goes up and which pill to use to clean his water.
Concur. As an area of discussion it serves no purpose, as concerns IWs unless you are on the extreme end of the spectrums. - and IMO, the area of real discussion is not really about the bullet but other issues.

I am probably way out of my element, but what the heck. Feedback would be nice
No you are not. To my mind, the merit of SWJ is that it's all about what you say, and the strength of reasoned argument. Credentials count for little if you are prone to talk rubbish, or cite your credentials in support of your argument.