Thread: The John Boyd collection (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's the big deal about John Boyd?

Okay,

Probably stepping into a minefield here.

I was reading Selil's blog on the new Boyd book coming out and it got me thinking.

First, I'll admit ignorance similar to I had on EBO a few months ago. I've heard of OODA (big shrug of shoulders, failed to see how it could change my life in any away) and know he was a deep thinking fighter pilot who concentrated on how to do things faster/better/more efficiently. I also understand he was a magnetic personality, kind of a Tony Robbins for the military.

What continues to puzzle me is the almost Jesus-like devotion to the man by certain groups and organizations, like DNI and others. Reading some of the fanboi material I am wondering what he has done besides develop the OODA loop that makes him worthy of such reverence. I found this on an amazon.com review -

Personally, after becoming acquainted with Boyd's work (I carry printed copies of his only published work, an essay called Destruction and Creation, in my computer bag read while traveling---giving copies to clients and friends) my business has changed and to a great extent, my life has changed. Boyd's method of synthesizing data from disparate sources has helped me to help clients solve problems and exposed me to areas I would have never investigated otherwise.
    This book is important and highly recommended.
    (emphasis mine)

Frankly, the level of messianic devotion of Lind & Co. kind of makes me wary of the stuff surrounding him. The tone of many of the DNI publications is invested with a certainty of opinion that rivals Paul Wolfowitz.

A recent paper discussed here termed him "The greatest American military strategist". A pretty strong assertion.

So educate me (I'm prepared to be convinced) - what is the big deal?
    Last edited by Cavguy; 09-25-2008 at 05:53 AM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?