Regarding transferability of skills...
I think it depends on the echelon. The intangible value of continuous combat operations for years is immeasurable at the levels where they occur: largely battalion and below. I also think the staff planning and coordination, while different from HIC, is likewise invaluable. Just the experience of continually working together in a real-world environment is immeasurably value. I think one can make a case that we're not too competent in terms of Corps-level conventional operations of the type of sweeping across the Fulda Gap and generally agree with COL Gentile's assessment of that. But I think we're hands-down exponentially more lethal at battalion and below.

I think of it this way:
Imagine conglomerate A. It sees a bunch of companies that manufacture scunion. The conglomerate buys them all, so as to achieve a scunion monopoly. In order to do so, the conglomerate must coordinate the activities of the companies, but their internal processes are largely okay as is.

Now imagine conglomerate B. It, too, seeks a scunion monopoly. Conglomerate B has a knack for quickly coordinating activities of subordinate companies. Unfortunately, conglomerate B purchases a bunch of companies that manufacture drip pans and chock blocks. Conglomerate B cannot leverage its organizational (or C2) capabililities until those subordinate companies revamp their internal processes.

I would say conglomerate A has the advantage.