Sometimes people ask me to explain al Qaeda, why they hate us, etc. I’ll explain bin Laden’s stated grievances and objectives, the history of the organization, social psychology, etc. For the most part people don’t like hearing this, some even get offended or angry. It conflicts too much with their worldview and previously held conceptions. They don’t like to hear that most AQ members are not insane. I can understand where they are coming from, and to be honest sometimes it unnerves me as well; but ignoring all this only inhibits my ability to understand it. And if I can’t understand it, I can’t help to defeat it.

I don’t think Ames is excusing the shooting or being an apologist for it, I think he is trying to explain it. He’s published a book on workplace shootings; he’s knowledgeable on the subject, and has done some digging on this case. It doesn’t matter that you or I know the world isn’t fair, and that we’ve never shot up a school or workplace. What matters is that some people have, that there is some reason why they did it, and usually it is not because they are insane.