I have been reading FM 3-13 trying to get a better idea of the role the G-7 has in IE. As I look at Figure 6-1, I come away thinking of the G-7 as a conductor directing an orchestra of five core competencies of IE (PA, PO, Combat Camera, STRATCOM, Public Diplomacy), Par 6-2. I understand that this is done in working groups; however, I am trying to figure out who has ultimate responsibility for IE. At the end of the mission, is the commander going to look at the G-7 for the successes and failures of IE, or will he look to the PAO, PO, etc.?

In Paragraph 6-36, it states, "PSYOP planning is conducted within the G-7/S-7section and synchronized within the IEWG."

Am I understanding this correctly to say that the PSYOP officer works for the G-7?

I definitely see the need for these working groups to be functional so as to ensure the command achieves a "coherent operational approach." Given the many overlapping responsibilities of the various competencies, I can see where there would be a real challenge in this regard.