Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
Wilf, the hybrid concept is not new, but some of the potential threats are new (that is simply due to an ever changing geopolitical environment and new technology available, which is simply a continuation of history), so the character of war has changed. I'm trying to discern exactly what you disagree with Ms Flournoy on? The list of threats or the hybrid war concept?
If she had started her testimony with the words "Business as usual to anyone with a brain," I'd agree with her.

I don't agree with a Hybrid War concept. It falls between being an invented problem, and naming something we don't need to name. It's a another poorly defined feature of contemporary military thought.

What threats are we seeing that are so new? No weapon the enemy is using in Iraq or A'Stan is less than 30 years old or more in terms of actual employment. What emerging regional powers (that we don't know about)

Sea Mines? Anti-ship missiles? Broad Band Jamming? Passive Radar? Sarin? VX? What about all these are so surprising or even "new technology?"

If US Armed Forces are being pulled in two very different directions then someone needs to be sacked for stupidity for letting that happen.