Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
I fully accept terrorist catching is dirty work etc, but profoundly disagree that 'Cops are instrinsically unable to do these things'. Or do you mean only in the USA?
Yes.
Leaving prevention aside for now, a lot depends on whether your strategy involves criminalisation and so the need for evidence to present in court.
That's why.

No question MI5 and most european agencies do a good to great job -- but they are not driven (too often) by hordes of lawyers...

My point was that generally -- and specifically here in the US -- the idea of getting the evil one to court overrides the ability to let the case or activity build to get other than the sardines in the net. The Police are hard wired to protect -- and that's good. They also are opposed (one would hope) to breaking the law. Both those factors can intrude if not interfere with catching bad guys who deliberately use your laws against you. I also suspect that there are occasional differences between the CI and Special Branch elements in your police services on those issues.

I'll again note that most 'successful' FBI counter terrorist efforts that have been publicized are sting ops and the miscreants seem to be short a few cards.