Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
...and have found that it really doesn't make a huge tactical difference.
Only when you take 30 to 50% casualties does it become significant. That makes the USMC Squad of 13 with three ARs / SAWs a good one due to that depth (weapons become casualties also). Other than that, size and employment are highly situation dependent and there's no 'best.'
I guess I stuck that one in on the end to plug my view - but I think it works as a general principle. I found that when, for whatever reason, a platoon or company was denuded of that 4th maneuver element that it made things alot harder.
The triangular design was developed to prevent inexperienced or poorly trained Armies from being too predictable by forcing an unbalanced approach. With smaller, professional forces (pending the next major war), that need not be a concern. Organizing in fours facilitates rotations, lessen overhead and gives more flexibility and depth. It also offers a 25% increase in junior leader training slots.
...which chew up 12 guys in change for a phenomenal capability set.
Can also impact your training level if you aren't careful to rotate those vehicle minders on a regular basis. Everyone needs some dismount time...
...So I guess if we wanted to discuss the "ideal" Sect, Platoon and Coy we should look at capabilities and how to most effectively set a unit up to manage those capabilities.
All TOE are, as you mentioned, an administrative device. Organization for combat is a totally different creature and is or should be totally METT-TC dependent. There is no one size fits all, no 'ideal' as every war, every operation will present peculiar demands and the error will lie with he who's a slave to the prescribed organization -- or doctrine.

The advantage to large platoons and companies is combat depth; you can sustain losses and still function. The disadvantage is bulk and clumsiness leading to lack of stealth and diluted training -- the more people you have, the more that will not be present for some reason. The key is to take what you're given, do the best you can with it and never stop studying and thinking.