Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
I guess the crux of my ponderings was more in the arena has this guy even tried to get in contact with anyone from the mil side...
Once you're discharged, the Services can't do much for you -- that's what the VA is for. As I read your post, it appeared the guy was no longer in the service. If he got back from a deployment one day and was discharged the next, his former unit (not the people in it, they can do pretty much what they wish to support a former member but the legal entity that is the unit) has no relationship with him. Nor IMO, should it.
Perhaps I have misunderstood its purpose but I coulda sworn thats what some of the push over the last few years has been in regards to making help available even if it's just some general direction assistance. (and whether it would be sought by those who need it).
That's true but there are two categories; those still in uniform that the unit does have a responsibility for -- and units exercise that responsibility on a scale of from bad to great, just like they do on everything else. However, once one is discharged, if they need help there are plenty of places that provide it -- the VA, State Veteran Assistance offices and many private organizations
just my .00000000035676555432 cents but Mental health ain't the only arena in which many for any number of reasons don't seek the assistance they should.
True. In or out, Been in or never been in. Some ask for help, some won't take it, some will give help, some won't. Military or civilian, people are people.