I read the following link from the BBC about life in Kandahar.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8203830.stm

It set me to thinking that in some places where there is a degree of Afghan normality (whatever that might mean) oughtn't we to be considering reducing ISAF presence to a bare minimum and beginning to run out some of the post insurgency lines of development.

Its just an initial impression that there may be a tendancy to concentrate intellectual and planning focus on the high intensity conflict zones in the southern area, and as a result we may not be actively progressing capacity building in those places where resistance has reduced and where local government might be gaining some traction.

I'm sure this is picked up in a 'campaign plan' or 'roadmap', but I wonder if a slightly canalised focus on the harder edged effects might just lead to a few missed opportunities where softer 'hearts and minds' (and yes I know alot of people don't like the term) might deliver progress thereby allowing a greater degree of non-ISAF/non-military involvement.

Anyway - worth a read as it offers a view on a part of Afghanistan that appears to be in a slightly more mature position than that which we are used to hearing about.