Quote Originally Posted by Abu Suleyman View Post
Anecdotal evidence is powerful, because it is illustrative and evocative. However, it is rarely generalizable, and it is difficult to extrapolate. I would point you towards Lindsey O'Rourke's Op-Ed, which is actually a summary of a piece that should be coming out soon in Security Studies.
Good points and great link. It appears Ms. O'Rouke is going to study the issue. You are correct. It is difficult to generalize off of anecdotes; however inductive studies should not be ignored. My belief is empirical evidence supported by inductive studies often produces the strongest arguments.

This area is personal for me as I know many of the people involved. One common current that I've observed out of the DRV is a lack of hope. There was a time when those same young girls dreamed of going to university and studying to be doctors, teachers, and lawyers. In some ways, it is just sad to see their dreams fade b/c their parents continue to fight amoungst each other.

Additionally, I imagine their will be strong debate within the Islamic community over the use of women as martyrs. They debate just as strongly as we do here at SWJ.

v/r

Mike