Thread: Rifle squad composition

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I'd say no. The are bulky and not so easy to put into use. I good quality pair of binos or a well-glassed monocular is satisfactory.
    That is what I thought too before I spend some time with a good spotting scope. On can get one suited for most situations for 0,7 kg with a light tripod. With 1,3 kg you can have a brilliant one. There is a huge world of difference between a quality spotting scope with a 30x W (or 20-60x) eye piece or and 7x or 12x binos. You must try and see to believe. One can easily get handheld a rather steady picture with some aiming technique and a steady one when using a tree or wall. A tripod is of course the best way to use it.

Overall I do think that pound for pound it can be a very valuable addition, especially in places like Afghanistan. To exchange some firepower for far more observation power can be the sine qua non.

Firn

P.S: The Part III of the Appendix (p. 239) has some of the many observations in the book. Interesting aspects are the close link between observes with telescopes and aerial photography or the close cooperation between machine guns, snipers and artillery with the observer with the so priced telescopes.
    Last edited by Firn; 11-25-2009 at 08:01 AM.