It strikes me as being more than a little ironic that little is said outside of historical circles about how in 1863-1865 Lt. Col. John S. Mosby's 43rd Battalion of Partisan Rangers kept what are now the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC in a state of turmoil. The following is an example of what was happening in the backyard of our capital city.

Loudoun Co., October 19, 1863

GENERAL: I did not receive your letter of instructions until late last Tuesday night, on my return from an expedition below.

I collected as many men as I could at so short notice, and on Thursday, 15th, came down into Fairfax, where I have been operating ever since in the enemy's rear.

I have captured over 100 horses and mules, several wagons loaded with valuable stores, and between 75 and 100 prisoners, arms, equipments, etc. Among the prisoners were 5 captains and 1 lieutenant.

I had a sharp skirmish yesterday with double my number of cavalry near Annandale, in which I routed them, capturing the captain commanding, 6 or 7 men and horses. I have so far sustained no loss. It has been my object to detain the troops that are occupying Fairfax, by annoying their communications and preventing them from operating in front. Yesterday two divisions left Centreville and went into camp at Fox's Mill. There are three regiments of cavalry at Vienna. I contemplate attacking a cavalry camp at Falls Church to-morrow night.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
JNO. S. MOSBY, Major

[Endorsement]

HDQRS, CAVALRY CORPS, ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA, October 26, 1863

Respectfully forwarded.

Major Mosby and command continue to do splendid service.

J.E.B. STUART, Major-General

Source: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series 1, Volume 29, Part 1, pp 492-493