Got this RFI today via the day job and would appreciate any info that might answer the question - thanks in advance - Dave D.

Subject: Spec. Forces teams/camps near Rach Gia Vietnam in Sept. 1964

Hello,

I am doing some research for my grandfather, a Vietnam Airforce Veteran, to try to locate the name/location of a special forces fort near Rach Gia he helped defend in September 1964. He flew a A-1E Skyraider during this mission to provide air support responding to a call from a special forces fort under attack. He was stationed at Bien Hoa airforce base. Do you know any info that would help me? Do you know the names of any special forces camps/teams that would have been located near Rach Gia in September 1964? Or know of any person I could contact? Any help or info that would point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Here is the info he told to me:

On Sept. 12, 1964 he responded to a distress call from a special forces fort near Rach Gia. The base had 14 Americans and he believes 30-40 Vietnamese. They were under attack from enemy forces, which were scaling the wall and starting to enter the fort. My grandfather responded to the call and arrived about 2:00 a.m. and dropped bombs on the fort to stop the attack. His plane was damaged and he returned to Bien Hoa shortly before day break to crash land. He said the fort commander called his superior by the time he returned and informed them that my grandfather had stopped the attack. My grandfather was awarded a silver star in 1964 for this mission.

I am trying to locate the exact location of this special forces fort and, hopefully at some point, the names of the Americans inside the fort.

Thank you for any help you can give me!
Gabrielle