Hey Firn,

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
You were clearly singled out for very good reasons - too obvious ones to tell you.
Not sure I fully understand "to obvious to tell you". Schmedlap fits a current profile ? If you mean this is an OPSEC issue, then say so please.

Were not practically all of the plots or bombings concerning aircrafts comitted by persons which fitted to a often surprising degree the risk profiles?
This is one of the very reasons we teach the local security to check everybody. Not a single person should be exempt from a full screening (shoes off, physical search and yet another screening at the gate). Some folks just don't know what's going on and being ignorant doesn't translate into easier checks and apologies in lieu of security.

I know this is a rather sensitive topic, but given the limited time and ressources for security checks the overall effort should focus on them, while keeping up a (far) more irregular/sparse pattern for intensiv checks for other profiles.
There's an inordinate amount of pressure on security personnel to perform an effective job in a matter of seconds. Simply being trained to identify potential flammable and/or explosive mixtures obviously is useless if we don't permit security to do a thorough inspection. This especially holds true at the gate... The enormous amount of hazmat available at the gift shops are not being controlled.

Firn

P.S: Good to hear that this obviously timed bombing was prevented. Kudos to the crew and the passenger(s).
Could you expand on "timed bombing" ? All I've read indicates the bonehead has serious burns.

I'm glad to see passengers getting involved - time we sent a message to would be fanatics: We won't take this Sierra any more